Am I a Candidate?
There are a number of widely accepted criteria which make a patient suitable for Bariatric or weight loss surgery:
- Weight greater than 45kg above the ideal body weight for sex, and height
- BMI > 40 by itself or >35 if there is an associated obesity illness , such as diabetes or sleep apnoea
- Reasonable attempts at other weight loss techniques
- Age 18-65
- Obesity related health problems
- No untreated psychiatric or drug dependency problems
- A capacity to understand the risks and commitment associated with the surgery
- Pregnancy not anticipated in the first two years following surgery
There is flexibility in these guidelines. Sometimes a lower BMI between 30-35 is accepted if comorbidities exist.
Click here to calculate your BMI.